Aims & Objectives
The role of the South West Burn Care Network (SWBCN) is to deliver a work programme to enhance and standardise the delivery of care to adult and paediatric patients who have suffered a serious burn injury or have a skin loss condition.
The SWBCN fulfils the principles outlined in the National Burn Care Review (2001), to ensure specialised burn services are achieving the recently reviewed British Burn Association National Standards for Provision and Outcomes in Adult and Paediatric Burn Care (1st Edition, November 2018) as commissioned by NHS England in their National Standard Contract Service Specification for Specialised Burn Care (all ages)..
The SWBCN aims to ensure all referrals into specialised burn care services are in line with the service designation and are based on the National Burn Care Referral Guidance (2012), ensuring patients are seen in the right location with the right resources and appropriately skilled multi-disciplinary team are available. The SWBCN, in collaboration with burn care service leads, aims to improve outcomes and quality standards and that evidence based networked patient pathways are agreed and implemented. It also ensures burn services within the Network are working to the same principles and to the same standards for patient benefit.
- Ensure the healthcare needs of adults and children relating to burn injuries are clearly identified
- Ensure that specialised burn care services for adults and children are delivered according to clinical, service designation and other NHS England and professional standards
- Deliver high quality outcomes through consistent, cohesive and cost effective care
- Identify and effectively manage clinical and other risks relating to burn care
- Contribute to reducing the incidence of burn injury in the population
- Ensure effective management of the Network on behalf of the host organisation
- Ensure effective clinical flows through the provider system through clinical collaboration
- Provide standardised protocols for acute care and rehabilitation
- Achieve all referrals to national thresholds
- Audit clinical outcomes: survival, complications, length of hospital stay / % Total Body Surface Area (TBSA)
- Formally assess services against national standards
- Collaborate in research and clinical audit for patient benefit
- Engage with Burn Care Clinical Reference group and other Networks
- Ensure patient voice is heard and listened to